Rocks are important to any landscape. They give functional characteristic and they also have a distinct beauty. When designing a beautiful landscape it is necessary to plan and choose with care the type of rocks to be used.
Adding rocks to your landscape can definitely add an aesthetic appeal, but they can also be a practical addition too. You can use landscaping rocks to brighten a shady garden or to add texture to a flower bed. Here are a few tips on how to use these rocks to your landscaping’s best advantage.
First off, remember that choosing the right landscaping rocks for your yard is important. You can use white rocks to brighten areas that don’t get a lot of sun, or you can use landscaping rocks to complement what is already in your garden. For example, for gardens that incorporate a lot of tropical flowers, you could consider using terra cotta stones to give it more of that island feel. If you’re going for a more minimal look and feel, you might consider black landscaping rocks. Make sure you have a look or theme in mind when choosing what stones to use.
Tips in Choosing the Appropriate Rock
1. You must consider the space available when making your choice. Take note of the proximity of one to another. Make sure that these do not a path or an important view.
2. Color is also a distinct feature in the landscape. Some implement specific color schemes. There are different colors to choose from like red, yellow or white or you can carefully use in combination.
3. Porous rock is a better choice for a weathered look. They are receptive to growth of mosses and other plants like creeping phlox..
4. Avoid using sharp rocks near the pathway.
5. For a more natural look, choose rocks that are of similar appearance, considering texture, color and form.
Stones You Can Use For Your Landscaping Project
Decomposed Granite – This is a granitic rock weathered to a point of breaking into very tiny pieces. This is among the ideal options for rustic patios and pathways. It can also act as topdressing around arid plants. People choose this because it is relatively inexpensive. However, it can be hard for you to remove weeds. Also, it can easily be inserted at the bottom of your shoes.